© 2017 The Shadeland Group Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
A Colourful History
HISTORY
On April 1, 1892, two Toronto real estate brokers who had purchased a farm from James Thomson, entered into an agreement with the Grand Trunk Railway Company to cede to the railway a strip of land fronting on the railway, in return for which the railway company undertook to furnish rail service to the station.  The station was to be called Thomson Point.  The name was changed to Beaurepaire in 1894 for reviving the use of the original name of Farm 7 -- "Beaurepaire" -- seen in the concession to Jean Guenet on May 18, 1678.

Sidney Cunningham, who was the first president of the Beaconsfield Citizen's Association, started the commercial development in Beaurepaire Village in 1929.  He opened a general store at the southeast corner of St. Louis and Beaconsfield Boulevard.  The house diagonally across the intersection was built in 1925 by Arthur Carruthers then converted to a grocery store in 1934 by Miss Hazel Taylor.  The following year, Wm. Kenny took over the operation and called it Passchendale, recalling a famous World War I battle site.  It is now the home of Homestyle Bakery.

Mel Carter was largely responsible for leading the postwar development of the shopping area in Beaurepaire Village.  In 1948, Carter and his associate Bill Boxell, who where both employed by the British Overseas Airways Corporation, bought the land where Nova Thrift Shop stands today.  They built the store themselves and at that time it was primarily a general store.

In 1954, Roy Pelletier, a young pharmaceutical graduate from Unitversité of Montreal, bought the building across the street and operated Roy's Rexall Drugs there for three decades.  The building is now the home of the Chase Art Gallery.

In 1982, developer Cliff Thacker extended the Beaurepaire commercial area when he built a mini-shopping centre on the south side of Beaconsfield Boulevard between Fieldfare and Woodland.  In 1985, the grocery store Dominion closed and Roy Pelletier relocated his pharmacy there.  Pharmacie Jean Coutu is now in that location.

In 2003 Beaurepaire village underwent a major infrastructure reconstruction updating the parking, walkways and sidewalks to accommodate handicap access. Gardens, trees, lampposts, flags and benches were added throughout from Woodland to St. Louis.


(extract from Beaconsfield and Beaurepaire, A chronicle of the development of the City of
Beaconsfield and the district of Beaurepaire by Robert L. Baird and Gisèle Hall, 1998)
Please click on any image to open the Photo Gallery.